1.03.2012

01/03/2012

Oh, Nathan. He is an asker of profound questions. The original topic of discussion was homophones. Nathan is intrigued by the English language and, whereas most of us are content with being generally baffled by the ins-and-outs of grammar rules (and the continual breaking of such rules), Nathan feels the need to master each concept. Back to homophones. "Whether, whether, whether, whether, whether you like it or not weather, weather, weather, weather, weather is cold, warm, or hot." All I know about homophones I learned from this VeggieTales ditty. I'll admit it. But, enter Nathan, and suddenly I'm required to have a formal definition, a boatload of examples, and explanation for why the folks inventing words didn't just come up with something that sounded original.

So, I'm listing all the homophones that immediately come to mind:

Too. Two. To.
I. Eye.
Dear. Deer.
Pray. Prey.
Be. Bee.
Where. Wear.

It's not a comprehensive list, obviously, but off the top of my head, I thought it was pretty good.

"What about 'right'?" Nathan asks. "You know, like, 'I'm usually right' or 'I'm going to write you a little note'."

I confirm that, indeed, these were homophones. He asks about several more and they are all definitely homophones. Then he says, "What about 'ark'?" He goes on to explain the two different definitions. One being a large boat used to hold a mobile zoo. The second being a box used to carry stone tablets with rules.

Unfortunately, these words are actually the same word. And I made the mistake of saying so. Conversation shift. We were then discussing the contents of the ark (the NOT mobile zoo edition). The Ark of the Covenant. What was a covenant? Where is the box now? Why couldn't people touch the ark-box? It was a long, in-depth theological discussion. With my six-year-old.

It was also several days ago. But, this morning while I was driving to WalMart, that discussion came back to mind and I found that I was fixated, not so much on the ark, but on the curtain. Do you know the one? The curtain that separated the Ark of Covenant from all but the High Priest. And, while I'm no Bible historian (and I'm not going to research this right now), I recall that even the High Priest only went into the room with the Ark something like once a year. And it was a terrifying experience. Because the Presence of God was in that Ark. And His presence is not something to approach flippantly.

But there He dwelt, among His people, until the moment when Jesus "gave up His spirit" as the ultimate sacrifice. And at that moment, the moment Jesus died, the curtain tore from top to bottom. Suddenly this room, with the Ark of the Covenant, which had been strictly forbidden to "common folks" and which was only approachable under the strictest of conditions (after a series of sacrifices, by only the High Priest, only on certain occasions, and with great fear and trembling), was open for all to see. Approachable.

Whoa. That makes one doozy of an adjustment if you are an Israelite, comfortable with the standards and rigmarole of Old Testament law. Fortunately for me, I was not born into a generation of pigeon sacrifices or lengthy redemption ceremonies. I was born in the PC generation (sure, computers, too!). I'm thinking of "Post Curtain."

So, it ought to be easy. I can just waltz up to the "Ark Box". Skip the lamb. No incense. No fire. No priest.

But, I've discovered something about myself: I'm a seamstress.

2012 years after that curtain tore, stubborn Rachel seeks to sew it back together. Stitch by painstaking stitch. I don't think I'm the only seamstress.

Much has been made, at least in my experience, of the legalism and standards of Christianity. And, while I'm not trying to throw morals out the window or say that "anything goes", I want to get in touch with my seam ripper this year.

Because I innately understand legalism. Something inside me feels the need to provide my own environment of purgatory. Right here. Right now. Can I beat myself up? You betcha! Can I carry my own guilt around? Oh, yeah! Can I lock the bars on my opened prison cell? I can. And I do.

Because I seek to sew the curtain.

I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions. But this year, I am resolved to use my seam ripper. In the areas of my life where I have sewn the curtain shut and have blocked forgiveness, redemption, freedom, and Jesus, I want to cut the thread. There is much of the Bible that I understand. There is much that I can explain to inquisitive Nathan. But what of freedom in Christ? What do I know of that? Not enough.

John 10:10 "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. I am with you on the seam ripping as you are not the only one.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]kPUvbniWxMVEW[/url] - NXZLDdPrkhWzE - http://iluubcb.com