4.21.2010

04/21/2010

Four children.

Four small children.

You can't possibly imagine the amount of attention our little family draws when we are out and about. Oh, the comments!

"You've got your hands full!"
"Are these all yours?"
"Are any of these twins?"
"Look! One with every hair color!"
"You're one brave woman."

Before Liam was born I wondered if having four children would keep me at home. I enjoy going out and about with the kids, but I honestly didn't know if four would be one too many.

It's not!

I have been having a wonderful time incorporating one more child into a normal routine. I can take four children shopping. I can take four children to the auto shop to get the van fixed. I can take four children to church. And I can do it by myself...even when Nick is working! But, that being said...

It sure is nice to have Nick's help with our herd. Because with three in diapers, there's a lot of changing to do. And with one using a bottle, two using sippy cups, and one requiring a straw, there's a lot of specifications to fill. And with two who remove their shoes at every opportunity, there's a lot of lacing/velcroing/searching the floor of the van to do. And with 4 silkies, 2 Boos, 2 puppies, 2 blankets, and 1 'Daddy shirt' to keep track of, there's a lot of inventory-ing to do. And with two who require assistance with utensil use, there's a lot of feeding to do. And with two who throw violent tantrums, there's a lot of disciplining to do. And with one who whines, and one who has gas, and one who waited until the 'waters are coming!!!' to mention he needed the bathroom, and one who says 'up' and means 'down', and one who misplaces everything, and one who can't quite maneuver the stairs, and one who doesn't share, and one who...

You get the picture.

And I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that Nick is the sort of Dad who happily helps with all of the 'to-dos.'

And I really love that about him.



(Thanks for being who you are, Nick!)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a lot of to-dos. Glad you have been blessed with the patience and a caring, involved husband to get you through these many moments.

Angela Johnson said...

All I can say is, you are amazing! I find it tough to leave the house with 2 kids...in fact I usually won't do it unless absolutely needed. Kudos to you super mom! Oh, and that's great that Nick is so willing to help!